Monday 26 July 2010

The Biggest Loser USA - Nintendo DS Game Review Part One

I've completed my first circuit using the DS, so I thought naturally I'd do a review on my first impressions of the game so far.

Please bare in mind that this is the first time I have used this game, and so haven't explored all the different features just yet - this is just my thoughts on the initial start up, and overall first impressions!!

Ok, starting from the top, annoyance number one, too many adverts before you get to the main menu! I know I know, I am impatient. But personally, when I turn on a game like this, I want to get straight down to it, and not see adverts for NBC (which I don't get anyway!)

So finally we get to the title screen where we are greeted with both Bob & Jillian. First job is to start a new profile.

On the next screen we are greeted by Alison Sweeny (presenter of the USA show), introducing you to the game. The next two screens are Bob & Jillian doing their 'motivational' bits.

We then get down to the nitty gritty, entering your name. First gripe is that it's all in capitals. Minor issue I know, but I like to enter my name like Hells, not HELLS. Ah well, as I said minor issue.

The next two screens are your standard male or female questions, and date of birth. The we get onto the next little gripe - height. Now, for the time being, it will only allow me to work in meters & cm, which isn't a problem if you do, but unfortunately I still work in feet and inches so I have had to google the conversion! I will point out that you can actually change this to 'English' (i.e feet and inches), but only after you have completed your profile. It would save a lot of time if a) I could personally change to metric measurements, or b) they allowed the option which unit of measurement you work in from the start (as they do on the Wii version, which again I'll probably do a review on at some point).

After getting over the height issue, we then come to entering your current and goal weights. This is my next problem, as at the moment, it will only allow me to work in Kilograms. Again, when you change the unit of measurements to 'English' later on, this will change to pounds, but until then, it's google time!

You then get to choose your lifestyle, Sedentary / Light Activity / Medium Activity / Heavy Activity, each option has a different calorie intake count next to it.

We then get to review the profile created, play about with the look of your Avatar, brief background on BMI, BMR & suggested calorie intake before finally getting to the main menu and the fun can begin!

But first, if like me you want to work in feet, inches and pounds, on this screen, click the options button at the bottom and change unit to 'English'. You may need to then edit your profile to ensure you have entered the correct information.

After all this is done, we still can't quite get down a jiggy with the exercises yet (which for me, is the whole point of the game). We are then greeted by Alison Sweeny again, with her second introduction. You then tell Bob what level exerciser you are (beginner!) and Jillian how long a programme you will be doing (12 weeks for me).

Next, we have our first official weigh in. Um, hang on, isn't that the same as our starting weight? Bit frustrating personally, not only have I had to enter my weight in twice already (first in Kgs, then in Lbs), but now I have to do it a third time! I know patience is a virtue, but really people, all I want to do is start the game, not enter in information I have already entered. Ok, with this done, Alison pops her head up for one last time, and now finally we can get onto the actual game!!

As you can tell, I am a little frustrated at this point, but only because for me, the log in is a little long winded. I understand and applaud the thoroughness of it, I really do, but I do object having to repeat myself when actually, I shouldn't have to.

Onto the main screen, you get a choice of going into 'calendar', 'exercise', healthy eating handbook' and 'progress'. I haven't explored all these yet, as I only started the game this morning, so all I will comment on for now is the exercise routine I did, which was Circuit One.

As exercising using a DS is not something I had ever done, I did find it rather odd to begin with. You get taken through the usual warm up, and then crack on with the routine which includes cardio and toning exercises.

At first, I will admit, I was sceptical. The first few exercises I did, but wasn't really that convinced. Here is how it works. You get your first exercise. when this is done, you have to stop to take a break which you can skip if you like and onto the next one. This repeats throughout the whole routine. Lots of stopping to click / move forward and the restarting, so you don't really getting into the swing of things. Also, you can skip exercises you don't want to do very easily during the workout, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. The other thing was before each exercise I was suppose to have read the instructions. But these were all moves I had done a million times before, so didn't actually bother reading as this would have taken up more of my valuable time! Um, bit of a mistake that because of some of the stretching exercises, and I didn't find this out until the end of the routine, you have to split the time yourself for each side. As is usually the case you get told 'hold for 30 seconds', then you are told to change to the other side. Not here you don't. Bit of a cheeky short cut from the games point of view. maybe the instructor did say 'now change to the other side' during the allocated time, if he did, I didn't hear him! I'll have to make a point of listening a little more carefully next time!

All in all, not really a raving review is it? Well actually here is the interesting thing. Whilst doing these exercises, I started to think about how you would use this game in real life. The best thing about using the DS to exercise with is that it's portable! Think about it. If like me, you have workouts on both DVD or Wii format, you are limited as to when and where you can workout. Not a problem if you establish a set routine for yourself, but what about when you are away from home and still want to work out? We all know that once we stop exercises for a short period of time, it can be difficult to get back into the swing of things again.

This is where I think the DS will come into it's own. You can essentially go anywhere, and still have access to the same exercises. For me, it means I could stay over night at the inlaws, and not miss a single mornings workout! What you have to remember is that it isn't like a normal DVD or Wii workout, as you have to be more interactive with it, as opposed to standing there and doing what you are told.

Once you can get over that obstacle, I think, this could potentially be quite a good platform to exercise with.

No comments:

Post a Comment